Discover why getting your Phlebotomist Training may be one of the best decisions you have ever made
If you are interested in medical profession as a Phlebotomist then you need to undergo phlebotomist training. Besides drawing blood, there are many other responsibilities that the Phlebotomist does. For example, the person is in charge of disinfecting and preparing the puncture site, preparing samples for lab, taking patient histories, etc. They also have to work with number of medical professionals such as doctors or lab technicians.
Why do you need Phlebotomist Training?
So, people who are interested in the phlebotomy career should have appropriate phlebotomist training with all the courses required for doing the job perfectly. Fortunately, there are many training programs that include all the required subjects. You can find colleges, universities, technical or vocational institutions and even online courses. However, to find the best training institute you need to do some research before starting your phlebotomist training.
These phlebotomist training courses are available for minimum of one semester or you can opt for training that goes on till a year. You may choose any course you like but ensure that they offer ample of hands-on training as it is of utmost necessity during certification examination.
Besides the training the phlebotomists needs to have license if they wish to work with bigger companies. This is because medical care market is growing and there are many people who wish to join as they see a secured future in this market. A certified phlebotomist can earn approximately $24000 per annum, which is huge. So, take up Phlebotomist training if you wish to make a career in this field.
The 1o reasons why you need phlebotomist training
There are 10 reasons why you should obtain Phlebotomist training. They are as mentioned in the following lines.
1. Human Anatomy: In the training sessions you will learn all about human anatomy. It is very necessary to be familiar with all the body parts. You will be trained to understand the cardiovascular system, arteries and veins. Also as the main job of Phlebotomist is to draw blood they will be taught how to do it fast and smooth.
2. Precise Needle Techniques: Only a few people can see blood and not be horrified. Additionally, there are others who faint even when they see needles being used. However, for people who are strong and think that they can handle needles then they can go for Phlebotomist training. During the training you will be taught the most professional and efficient way of handling precise needle techniques. It should also cause minimum discomfort to the patient and this requires much practice.
3. Safe Management of all Specimens: After the blood is drawn it needs to be safely kept for research purposes. Therefore, they are taught how to deal or handle the blood samples that are collected.
4. Accurate Record Keeping: Record keeping is also a very important part of the training because the blood that is extracted needs to be sent for various researches to identify the disease. Therefore, you should know how to update the details accurately. You need to know how to label and catalogue professionally. Otherwise it may lead to misdiagnosis which will lead to giving the patient wrong medicine. This will turn into a very dangerous situation. Therefore, giving attention to minute details is very necessary.
5. Hands-on Training: To sit for phlebotomist certification examination you need to have certain verifiable hours where you need to train to draw blood. If you directly give the certification examination you may not have all the answers. Therefore, it is important to undergo training so that you know what exactly you are supposed to do.
6. Student Collaboration as well as Input: When you attain Phlebotomist training then you will have opportunity to meet people who are like-minded. Hence, you will be able to share insights and ideas together and gain an input on the broader perspective. Moreover, student collaboration will enable in creating a study groups which will be beneficial for your exams.
7. Instructor Guidance: Further, there will be an instructor to guide you through every lesson and steps. Thus, you can learn the right techniques of things. If you do not have an instructor then there is no one to guide you even if you are stuck somewhere or do not understand a particular topic. Thus, it is always good to have Phlebotomist training as you can get assistance.
8. Immediate Feedback: In addition, if there is something you do not understand you can get the answer immediately. You need not search for answers on your own. You can even get a feedback on your performance so you know where you stand.
9. Discipline: Phlebotomist training institutes offer you step-by-step and disciplined courses. The training courses have a syllabus for each class, an assigned homework etc. Moreover, there will be a teacher always who will remind you the work you need to do.
10. Better job opportunities: In order to become a phlebotomist you do not require a medical education. You can just be a high school pass out and are not scared of blood. However, if you want to be in the industry and have better job opportunities then you need to undergo Phlebotomist training and clear your certification exam with very good scores.
Other than the above mentioned reasons, there is one more thing you should take care of while training to become a phlebotomist. That is, even though you may be very skilled at blood sample collection, unless you are an emphatic person and understands how to console and comfort the patient you will never be successful at your job.
This is because the patient will not be cooperating with you and so you would not get an opportunity to draw the blood. Thus, it is very necessary to show compassion to patients while drawing their blood painlessly and quick. Patients are usually uneasy when people extract blood from their body and more so if they draw a lot of blood out. Hence, you should be very careful to not annoy them. When you have mastered all the areas of Phlebotomist training then you can look forward and see a promising career in future.
10 things to consider before getting your phlebotomy certification
Phlebotomy Certification is an examination that a trained phlebotomist needs to complete in order to get into the profession. Although in most of the countries it is not compulsory yet the trend is catching up very fast. Many people choose phlebotomy as their career in medical field because it does not require long years of study and is also not very expensive.
As a matter of fact the study course requires only a few months. In addition, it is very reasonable and the employment that they can get after the certification is in hospitals, blood banks, doctor’s office, medical laboratories etc. However, before getting your Phlebotomy Certification there are some 10 things that you need to consider. They are as mentioned in the following lines.
1. Research about Phlebotomy: Before undergoing a certification exam, you need to do a thorough research about the job requirements and the duties of a phlebotomist. You might be aware that they collect blood. However, there are many aspects to just drawing blood. The person should be aware of how to find the vein to draw and collect blood, how to handle tubes, needles, bags and various other equipments.
In addition, the person should be able to interact properly with sick people and gather information from them correctly. Also if the patient is nervous they should calm them down. A phlebotomist must be able to carry out smoothly different procedures like labelling the equipment appropriately etc.
2. Phlebotomy Courses and Training: You need to start a phlebotomy course if you wish to obtain Phlebotomy Certification. There are courses which range from 4 months and up to 24 months. Shorter courses are offered by Vocational Schools whereas community colleges offer longer courses. The curriculum of the courses varies among the schools. However, all of them focus on the main points such as human anatomy, lab procedures, blood drawing techniques and others. All the courses will have theoretical and practical teaching methods.
3. Search for the right training course for Phlebotomy: It is not difficult to join a training course for phlebotomy. Moreover, you only require a high school degree to get into these courses. Further, many community colleges and technical schools have started offering this certification course. Therefore, it becomes difficult to make the right choice. However, it is of great importance to choose the appropriate training course for Phlebotomy Certification because it will help you clear the exams in one go.
4. Check whether you require certification to pursue phlebotomy in your state: The requirement may vary as per the state laws. Therefore, before pursuing the certificate course enquire whether it is compulsory in your state to have a license. If not then you can join a company and pursue later but if it is compulsory then you need to find the best institute and start the course.
5. Register for Phlebotomy certification test: There is an online registration which you need to complete if you wish to give the test. You cannot just come to the test site and then expect to give the test. During the registration online you will be given some particular time and dates from which you can choose. A fee will be charged during the registration of Phlebotomy Certification. After you have chosen the date you can appear the test on that particular date. If you do not turn up on the scheduled date then you will not get your fees back. You will have to pay again for another attempt. Further, you need to show photo identification or else you will not be allowed to appear the test. Phlebotomy Certification test is a computer generated test and consist of multiple choice questions.
6. Work Environment Options: With reference to the work environment you can choose from various options. You can work in the office of a doctor, lab, hospital, research firms, clinics, blood banks and pharmaceutical companies. All the above mentioned work-place has a different working environment. Therefore, first consider which option is best suitable and then decide to commit to that position.
7. Specialize Your Training: After you have finalized on which environment you wish to stay, the next thing you need to do is specialize your training as per that particular environment. This will differentiate you from others. If you wish to work in a lab then you can learn the laboratory skills. You can also learn to perform EKG (Electrocardiography) tasks. This equipment is used to interpret heart ailments. Therefore, you can specialize in operating EKG equipment for the doctors to read the interpretations.
8. Complement Your Skills: Today computer skills are required in every field. Therefore, as it is a competitive field you need to add this complementary skill along with your Phlebotomy Certification. If you wish to go beyond the basic technology skills of collecting blood, storing and testing which everyone in this field is aware of then you should learn this added skill. This will help you stay ahead of the competition.
You can gain expertise in word processing, data entry and spreadsheets. This will be useful when you have to maintain records, track inventory, draft the doctor’s memo etc. You can search for a phlebotomy program that provides computer skills along with the basics of medical terminology.
9. Always be conscious of the Competition: When you choose to become a phlebotomist you need to be always aware that there is a lot of competition in this field. This is because this profession is gaining lot of popularity in the current period as the health industry is booming. Therefore, you should think about how to stand out in the crowd and get the best job opportunities.
10. The earnings of a certified phlebotomist: Career wise phlebotomy is a very well-paying occupation. In some states the average expected salary of a phlebotomist is $ 29,359 (approximately) which is not bad at all. However, it may vary according to different state but is a very stable career option. So, if you are interested go ahead and get a Phlebotomy Certification once you have completed your phlebotomist training.